Thank you for wanting to spend time with us as a volunteer!
Your time and talent are valuable to us.
The following are ways you might plug into StepUp Durham:
Step2 is a nine-month program in which working families set and accomplish their personal, financial, and professional goals. We are in need of the following types of volunteers:
- Co-partner – Be trained to walk alongside and support a StepUp participant as they set and accomplish their personal, professional, and financial goals
- Childcare & homework buddy - Supervise and provide homework assistance for children (ages 0-16)
- Meal Provider - Provide a nutritious dinner to the 10 families participating in the Step2 pilot
- Instructor - Teach or coach participants on a skill in which you have expertise (e.g. setting S.M.A.R.T. goals, leaning into personality strengths, credit repair, career development, etc.)
ENER-G reminds us of the five areas we focus on when job hunting with our participants: Empowerment, Networking, Employment, Resources, and Growth. The following are volunteer roles you might consider (training and staff guidance provided for each opportunity):
- Networking Volunteer - Bring yourself or a group of friends and provide job seekers the opportunity to practice their "elevator pitch."
- Mock Interviewer - Ask job seekers mock interview questions and provide constructive, encouraging feedback.
- Guest Employer or HR Professional - Share about your company's hiring needs or offer advice on interviewing, resume-writing, and networking.
ENER-G occurs Wednesday mornings from 8:30 - 10:30 AM.
Job Skills Workshop
Job seekers begin their partnership with StepUp by completing a 32-hour job readiness workshop. These workshops run about every other week and serve as a space for job seekers to develop and/or polish the skills required to obtain and maintain employment. The following are volunteer roles you might consider:
- Meal Provider - Prepare or purchase breakfast or lunch for a class of 10-12 employment seekers
- Data Entry Volunteer - Support StepUp staff in setting up new participant records in our database (Salesforce)
- Resume Editor - We all make spelling mistakes now and then! Support StepUp staff in catching them all by editing participant resumes for spelling, grammar, formatting, etc.
- Guest Employer or HR Professional - Help participants practice talking about their employment gaps or criminal background by offering feedback and expertise.
- Mock Interviewer - Ask job seekers mock interview questions and provide constructive, encouraging feedback
- Tailor - Sometimes an interview suits needs a bit of tailoring. Perhaps you could lend a hand!
- Dry Cleaner - If your business would be willing to provide dry cleaning services or sponsor it for StepUp participants, we would love to connect!
Job Skills Workshops occur bi-monthly and run Monday - Friday, 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM. Data Entry Volunteers are needed on the Monday of the workshop anytime between 10:00 AM and 3:00 PM. Resume Editors are needed anytime on Wednesday. Guest Employers/HR Professionals and Mock interviews are needed on Friday of the workshop between 9:00 AM and 12:00 PM.
StepUp Durham Office
It takes a lot of administrative work to ensure that folks get everything they need to be successful in their job search. If you're looking for a way to volunteer that is more "behind the scenes," but instrumental to supporting someone in finding employment, consider these volunteer roles:
- Desk Volunteer - Answer phones, greet walk-ins, call potential participants to confirm workshop registration, scan and upload/enter data into our database, etc.
- Workbook Assembly Volunteer - Help staff print, hole punch, and assemble Job Skills Workshop booklets.
Desk Volunteers are particularly helpful during workshop weeks when staff are busy teaching. Workbook Assemblers are needed the Wednesday or Thursday before a workshop begins.
special projects & consulting
- Event Planning Volunteer - Do you love planning and throwing parties? StepUp Durham is looking for volunteers to help plan special events for StepUp employers, volunteers, and friends throughout the year, including the 2016 Impact Luncheon.
- Newsletter & Press Release Writer - Are you a writer at heart? Consider authoring short articles for our E-Newsletter, website, and media outlets.
- Professional Development Trainer - We are always on the lookout for training that will develop and challenge our staff professionally and improve our service to participants. Perhaps you have an area of expertise in which you would like to train our staff. Topics we are interested in exploring include racial equity, case management, effective workplace communication, crisis conversations, family systems theory, volunteer management, trauma awareness, self-care, leadership, community organizing, and general professional development.
If interested in volunteering, please contact StepUp Durham’s Volunteer Coordinator